Unique content on the site is almost the main component of any quality resource. Useful materials and comprehensive information – why the user, in principle, comes to the site. Whether it’s company information, or breaking news, or alerts about upcoming events and promotions, or an additional source of communication.
These are articles and texts that fill absolutely all the pages and sections that enliven the site, give meaning to its creation, support the development and promote it. And behind all this “Creation” in a mini-format invisible fighter – copywriter.
Сopywriter: The Real Creator!
Copywriter – the Creator of the text material, if in general. He simply must be literate, be able to clearly and preferably succinctly express their thoughts, have an attractive style. The copywriter writes articles on different topics, such as:
- “How-to” articles;
Let’s look at the features of writing each of these articles.
How to write an article: The news
Writing articles about the news correctly is an art. To write interesting news for a website or offline edition, you need to meet several requirements for the structure, style, and creation of an attractive title. Let’s analyze the news structure:
- Header. It should attract attention and arouse interest in the news, encourage the reader to view the full text.
- Lead – the first paragraph of the news. Must answer questions: who, what, where, when and how did.
- The content of the news reveals the content of the lead in more detail. It may contain 2-3 paragraphs of text, less often – more.
- Background. This is additional information that the author of the news considered necessary to add. For example, in the background, you can add the history of events, help the participants of the event.
Would you like to know how to write an article about the news with a catchy headline? There are several options to make a headline for the news:
- Standard header. Sets out the essence of the news, intrigue and other techniques to attract attention. Suitable for business publications and corporate websites.
- Headline-intrigue makes the reader wants to read the news and find out the important information for him.
- The title-question. Very good at attracting attention. However, keep in mind that if all the news on your site will have a title-question, it will look strange, and the effectiveness of such titles will decrease.
- Title-comment. As the title, we use the quote of the person who is the hero of the news. Such headlines can be seen on sports websites.
Lead the introductory part of the text, designed to interest, to reveal the main idea. It can consist of a title and the first paragraph or include only the first paragraph. Rules for writing leads:
- the essence of the news in 1-2 sentences – no more;
- benefit (if any for the user) – in the first line;
- the text is clear, understandable, without abstract nonsense and common words;
- causes a desire to read further – the effect of “slippery slide”.
How to write a good article: A case
Many people ask themselves the question: how to make a case? The case is a non-standard task, so when you make it, you can not adhere to strict rules. However, it is still necessary to follow general recommendations. Below is an approximate plan for writing the case:
- Header. It is important that the headline reflects the essence of the case and gives an idea of the situation in advance, which will be considered further.
- Description of situation. It’s like the “given” section in physics problems. To make the information easier to perceive, the situation can be divided into points.
- Search for solutions. A detailed description of the analysis of the ways in solving the case, and choosing the best option out of the situation.
- Description of the result. This paragraph describes the result of the steps to solve the problem.
It is recommended to choose a comfortable and easy to read font. In the design of the case, the use of illustrative materials is welcome: graphs, diagrams, videos, tables. Often cases are made out in the form of presentations.
How to write amazing articles: “How-to” texts
How-to content answers the question “How to do this?”. This category includes instructions, training videos, manuals, articles that help to solve some practical problems.
5 steps to make a good “How-to” article:
Step 1: Find the problem you want to solve
Select the relevant topic for the article. The main criterion is the benefit for the TA. Production of how-to content is expensive: good articles, guides, manuals come out voluminous, require a lot of time to prepare.
Step 2. Break all actions into steps
How-to content should be structured. Make sure that the actions were consistent, one after the other. If you skip the steps or mix them up, it will be difficult for readers to put the instructions into practice. Also, the more logical the structure of the article, the easier it is to perceive a large amount of information.
Step 3. Write down each step
Each step is a separate block of the article under its subtitle. As a rule, the structure of blocks is built according to the following scheme:
- In the beginning, it will be useful, at this stage, why do we need this step.
- In the middle – the process itself, how and what to do to achieve the goal set in the title.
- In the end – what we got in the end.
Step 4. Add examples and illustrations
Once you have described each step, add examples, illustrations, photos, diagrams, charts, screenshots, and other visual content to the blocks. Everything that will help the reader to present the process, to understand how to do it.
Step 5. Check the article again
Reread the text and answer a few questions:
Do all the steps go in order, I did not miss anything?
Aren’t there too many steps that can be broken down into two separate steps?
Did I forget to list what to check or take before using the tips from the text?
Is it clear from the article when the tips are applicable and when not?
Is the text clearly written? Will my audience be able to use the tips?
How to write an interesting article: A digest
Probably, each of you is familiar with such kind of articles as a digest. Once a week or a month, a letter with a list of interesting information and links comes to the post office. The digest can be compared to the morning newspaper: pour coffee, open and enjoy. Therefore, only interesting and useful information.
What exactly you write in the letter depends on the goals. As usual, it has a goal to:
- help people who have little time to read;
- help people to know up-to-date information and the reader is aware of the events without unnecessary time costs;
- wake inactive readers;
- drive traffic to sites;
- tell about the new course.
Digests consist of several types:
- Journal (periodical in paper or electronic form) — in fact, it is a collection of abstracts or short content, some resonant materials published in other journals, articles, websites or periodicals.
- Review periodicals — come in different formats: programs on the radio, sometimes on TV and much more often on the Internet.
- News digests — for example, the most important events of the week, etc.
- Video — now on YouTube full of channels that can be attributed to this genre. Subjects, of course, are very different, but the essence remains the same — a summary of something: games, books, websites, movies, other YouTube channels, etc.
How to write articles: FAQ page
Before we begin to analyze the structure of the FAQ page, we will briefly explain why it is necessary to make the text of the FAQ correctly. Just facts and nothing else but:
- The FAQ page forms the loyalty of users who can find answers to the necessary questions themselves.
- Properly optimized questions can lead to new people from search engines.
- The text of the FAQ increases behavioral factors, as people carefully study the page, as well as actively follow the links in the text if any.
- The “Frequently asked questions” section is an indicator of the seriousness of your intentions and respect for the reader.
10 rules of writing for the section “Frequently asked questions”:
- Simple questions. Under no circumstances, complex questions should be placed at the top of the list. It scares people away. Act on the principle of “from simple to complex.”
- Brevity is everything. The FAQ should be as short as possible. A few small paragraphs – this is an extreme option for the most severe cases, it is ideal – to limit a couple of sentences.
- Direct questions – direct answers. Try to avoid ambivalent interpretations, trying to confuse the reader. Sometimes do not reply to uncomfortable questions. If you have pointed to a problem – and offer a specific solution. It couldn’t be otherwise.
- Do not turn in the framework of the templates. If you have a couple of pictures or videos that are much easier to answer the question than a few paragraphs of text, do not be afraid to put them.
- Divide the FAQ text into blocks. Take this example the structure of the article: first the subtitle, and then the lists. You can do the same – designate visually semantic blocks, somehow limit them, and then inside the blocks already answer specific questions on a specific topic. Small tip: the titles of the semantic blocks and the issues it is better to do different sizes and colors. Headlines are bigger and brighter.
- Break into paragraphs and make spaces. The fact is that most readers do not read the text from cover to cover, but rather scan it. So, try to keep the material does not merge into one big spot, make indents and grind paragraphs as possible.
- Even the FAQ can sell. For some reason, it is considered that the “frequently asked questions” section is a neutral territory, where marketing is disabled by default. This is not the right approach: even in questions, you can advertise yourself and show your special attitude to customers. Of course, this is not clumsy, but professional.
- Don’t overdo SEO. There are FAQ pages that literally scream – I’m for SEO, not for people”. Your goal is to help people answer frequently asked questions, not to cram a ton of SEO entries into the text.
- Highlight the main places in italics. It is useful to summarize your answer at the very end or to highlight the main places of the answer in italics. This will only benefit readability.
- Give links to detailed and similar answers. If your site already has the answer to the question in a detailed form, be sure to inform the person. Give a link, show other answers and so on.
How to write an effective article: Reviews
- Personal opinion. The most important point in your review is your personal opinion about what you write. People read your review in most cases for the sake of it. Tell them what you liked and what you didn’t. Express an authoritative review of the product.
- Keyword. Any article on your site should correspond to some keywords that people will come to it from search engines. The same applies to your review. These keywords will need to be placed in the course of the case about the review.
- Comparison. It is very desirable to compare the product from your review with another similar product.
- The affiliate link. You can earn extra money on your review if you put an affiliate link. You give your visitors the opportunity to immediately order or buy a product, which you write a review.
- History of use. It will be very interesting and useful for users to read about what you did with the subject of the review, how you used it, and so on.
- Images and pictures. Look great reviews in which there are various images that have anything to do with the review thing. This gives the reader more information, and to do it with pleasure.
- Where did you take it? You need to put a link to the product where you can buy it, get it.
- Write a conclusion. After all, it is written definitely need to make a conclusion. It is necessary to take or buy something, or not worth it.
Let’s summarize all the information listed above:
- Try to write short sentences. Without ownership and verbal participle phrases. Without introductory words and words-parasites.
- Express your thoughts in simple words.
- Use photos to hold readers’ attention.
- Go ahead! You will succeed!